Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Outdoor Wednesday – Barns along my daily walk

image

The village of Stowe, Vermont dates back to the mid-1700s. It is of note for me as a resident that not as much as I would prefer has changed since then. However, it does provide great blogging material. Today I am showing SOME of the barns we pass on our daily walk. These were yesterday as we walked a mile out and then back. No driving needed for barn sightings here.

012Many of the homes on Main Street stretch to the back of the lot with attached barns and have been converted. Sometimes it is like looking for “hidden Mickeys”.

020This is the 1860 House and has converted “condos” that are just as often sold for business purposes as for apartments.

028
The back of this one has a great example of a “Vermont” window. We pass it again on the front.

038
The attached house front actually sits on the sidewalk of Main Street.

039

This is my favorite village property with a barn so far. I love the old stone wall that encloses the back yard. Again, the front of the house sits on Main Street and often I do not even see the barns in the rear.

048  
I did use a telephoto lens for this one and some of the following more traditional barns.

061
It almost looks like fall, doesn’t it? I guess the trees in the distance still haven’t fully “greened” up yet this year.

070  
This one looks like a working farm.

075
Stowe residents love their barns so much, they built The Swimming Hole to look like one. If we had normal businesses here, this would be analogous to  a local YMCA. Here is where we turn around, leave the path and walk back through the village.

079
There is a question on whether this Chinese Food restaurant is in a converted barn. The side view says, “yes”.

Next we pass a series of businesses in converted barns or with barns attached.

083 103

The front of this house is one of my favorites on Main Street. This attached barn holds the dentist’s office.

 085

 088   093 096 097  

 

 

Here the barn is so close to the sidewalk, it was difficult to get the picture. You can just make out the attached house in the background.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

As we emerge from the covered wooden walkway, the blacksmith shop is more appropriately housed in a barn.

101

At this point, I am a bit shaky from my “unstable” special walking shoes and trying to keep up with my husband over the course of 2 miles. It appears the camera had enough of barns, too. The battery was just about done.

Visit Susan at A Southern Daydreamer for more outdoor posts. And, finally, a shout out to a barn lover over at Keep’n the Sunnyside.

(My thank you to readers is posted here.)

26 comments:

kim said...

Oh, how I enjoyed this tour of this town and the barns. Just beautiful. I love the one with the stone walls, too. I would love to visit Vermont some day especially in the fall. I bet it is breathtaking.

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Wonderful, fabulous tour Nancy!
Vermont reminds me a lot of Wisconsin. I have been to Maine, New Hampshire, Mass. etc. but never Vermont. I think I need to put it near the top of my list!
Just Gorgeous tour!
Cindy

Blondie's Journal said...

Beautiful pictures, Nancy. Some of these barns look like houses!

xoxo
Jane

Amy said...

Very interesting. I really enjoyed the tour. I like how most of the barns are actually attached. We rarely see that here. The barns are almost always separate from the home. We also have a thing about multiple barns. You just can't have one.. lol.. ya gotta have at least one just for the horses. Funny how different things are in different regions. They're all unique and almost all of them have a history or story. Thanks for sharing and the shout out Nancy.

Allison Shops said...

I enjoyed the tour of barns in your town. I used to want to build a new post and beam barn to live in. Thanks for dropping by Atticmag and for the nice comment. If you haven't registered for our vessel sink giveaway, there's still time.

Allison
Atticmag

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

You live in such a charming place!! I just love barns. I had never heard of attached barns before so your post was both fun to look at and informative for me. :)

Mimi said...

Vermont is very unique in the way they have left the old barns and buildings standing for centuries, that is why people love coming there. Almost makes me homesick for my native state!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

That is so interesting, but this was actually common in parts of Great Britain, too. I loved seeing this and going on tour with you, Nancy.

XO,

Sheila

Debbie said...

Vermont looks gorgeous...never been even close to there. Those barns and the town are too cool! Thanks for sharing, and popping over...glad you understand how I feel about tubing!

xinex said...

I have enjoyed this tour so much, Nancy, The Vermont style houses look so pretty, kinda reminds me of houses in Norway....Christine

Maggie B said...

We visited Stowe many years ago and loved our time there, thank you for the guided walking tour of all those lovely barns. You're right nothing much seems to have changed.
Maggie

DollZandThingZ said...

Wow--I am impressed by your photos! As you already know, I love taking photos in New England. How wonderful that you made these thematic--barns are one of the icons of VT. Beautiful work! And congratulations on taking your walks!

Sherry said...

So neat to see your Main Street. Or the back of it. Love how they converted the barns into the homes.
Sherry

Sandy said...

I have lived in 14 states and 5 countries and all my life I have wanted to visit Vermont in the Fall.. maybe one day!
Your photos were amazing!
Thank you so much for visiting my blog today.. nice words!
Sandy

eileeninmd said...

Thanks for the tour of the lovely town and homes. Looks like a lovely place. Great photos!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Thanks for the tour - I enjoyed seeing all the barns/homes.
Thanks for visiting. I have wondered about the koi under the ice myself. I have heard that you don't feed them at certain times & temperatures. I did notice when there was ice on the pond they were not very active.

Cindy said...

Gorgeous photos! I would love to visit an area like that. The homes and businesses are so picturesque~
Hugs, Cindy S

Mary said...

Enjoyed the tour~ I've always wanted to visit Vermont :-)

LDH said...

Hi Nancy! What a great tour of the barns and houses in Stowe. I enjoyed every photo and well as several of your post that I have perused. Lovely blog you have here!

Kindly, ldh

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

Oh the beauty! It makes me sigh with happiness.

Queen of Dreamsz said...

Hi Nancy,

These barns attached to homes are fascinating to me...that would have been my dream when I had my herd of dairy goats and was milking every twelve hours..what a delight to not walk through the elements to go milk each day.

What a great post..I really enjoyed it. I have post about some wildlife if you'd like to see it.

Have a great day,
Stephanie ♥

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

I enjoyed walking aong with you on your blog, Nancy! The barns are so large and well utilized. I really liked the one that was close to the sidewalk -- it had a cottage look about it.

Ebie said...

Thank you for tagging us along in your house tour. The houses are beautiful and huge and the backyards too.

Vermont is a beautiful state.

Ms. Bake-it said...

What a fabulous tour of Stowe, Vermont! You took great pictures of all the "barns" along your walk. I have not been to Vermont in several years, but it is one of my favorite New England States.

~ Tracy

Susie Jefferson said...

These are all stunning! No wonder you enjoy your walks so much. Any one of these would have hundreds of potential buyers in the UK, fighting a path to the door. Such pretty scenery... we have brick - or more brick. Plus the occasional tree (sob).

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

I loved this tour. What unique and great buildings. I also love the property with the stone wall. Everything looks so charming. laurie