Friday, June 4, 2010

Thank you for your comments

Yesterday it was raining, however, this morning we have patches of sunshine that allowed me to take a new picture. I think it better represents how the house needs to integrate more with the background. Since I can also see it from a perspective much farther away, it is important to note that the feature that stands out is white. In this area of the United States, houses tend to blend in better with the environment.

014

The side view below gives a clear picture of the natural setting. If you look closely, you can make out the mountains in the background. To me, this is a style that should be on a village street.

019

The winters here ravage painted surfaces as you can see in the next photo. If it is a dry weekend, we will pressure wash and paint.

Although my husband and I chose, #1 from the paint chips, the consensus from comments was #2. We took a second look and this made sense. Also, online research results suggested tying the railings into the house color and #2 is a midway between our choice and that.

The question now is how much of the white to paint and what color to do the door. It would be nice to get it right the first time, but it is only paint and time.

006

Thank you so much for your input. Education is a wonderful thing and I’m always grateful to learn from others.

7 comments:

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

You have a beautiful home, I'm looking forward to following your process... I think it's great you're doing it as a team effort... hugs ~lynne~

Paula@pondalicious-plants said...

didn't see those cannon ball finials in the previous pic, they need to be cut off! what were those previous owners thinking???? tara indeed! i would take a saw to the finials, just below the ball and pedestal, that would leave just the rounded square which suits the character of the house. then i think the white rails would be fine with brown steps. it's not the color, it is the style that is so jarring.

Annie said...

Following the evolution of your home has been an inspiration for me. DH and I have very different ideas about resurrecting the interior but your experience has suggested ways that I can slip things in and we both end up happy. I'll be staying tuned for me.

stefanie said...

oh, I am in LOVE with your stairs and railing!!!

someplace in thyme said...

Hello sweet friend, it's been a long time since I visited with you and I see you and hubby have and are very busy. It all looks great but I can't wait to see more. It is all so much work, but well worth it in the end. Love the wood steps, we don't have those here, they would dry up too fast. Of course, we have concrete and lots of gorgeous stone, Char

Amy said...

Just now getting a peek at the paint choices. I too would choose #2. As far as the door goes.. I personally like a pop of color. I would choose something slightly bolder. Just curious, do you plan to paint or stain the steps?

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Nancy, this is such a handsome house. I imagine someone will fall in love with it. I am working my way back through the posts, and I left my suggestions on the last post I read which is the first one up.

XO,

Sheila :-)